May 24, 2024

Parent Travel Consent Form: Everything You Need to Know

Parent travel consent form is a consent signed by parents or guardian when a child travels abroad with only one parent or guardian or friends.

Are you planning a trip abroad with your child? Or do they have an upcoming school trip that could be life-changing for them? We get it. Understanding the requirements for international travel can get complicated, fast!

But here at CH Notary, we've got you covered. Today, we're diving into the essential topic of parent travel consent form.

There are lots of questions involved when it comes to the child travel consent form. Whether you're wondering if both parents need to sign, what information should be included, or if notarization is even necessary, we have all the answers you need.

What is a Parent Travel Consent form?

A notarized travel consent letter is a document that demonstrates parental or guardian consent for children travelling abroad during border crossings. They help ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience.

When a Travel Consent Letter is Important

According to the government, a travel consent letter should be used if a child travels alone, with only one parent or guardian, with friends or relatives (even older siblings), or with a group such as a school band, sports team, music group, or church.

While it's not a legal requirement, a travel consent letter is highly recommended. Sometimes, a child's birth certificate, passport and/or permission slip may not be enough to convince border protection or immigration authorities. Airline agents may require Canadian children to carry a consent letter.

In short: If your child is travelling without both parents or guardians, it's safer to have a notarized travel consent letter in case it's requested.

Definition of a Child

A "child" varies depending on the country or province, but it's generally recommended that a person under 19 years old should carry a signed child travel consent letter. This ensures that the child has the necessary authorization from their parent or legal guardian for the duration of their trip.

We understand the importance of this, which is why we offer a free downloadable consent form template to make the process easier for you.

Common Questions About the Child Travel Consent Form

How do you write a parental consent form for travel?

Parental consent forms for travel don't have official guidelines, but they typically include the following:

  • The child's name
  • Both parents' names, details and contact information
  • The accompanying person's name and relationship
  • Travel details
  • Consent letter signed by both parents or legal guardians

You can check our travel consent letter page for more information.

How many Consent Letters Do I Need?

You may need one or multiple letters, depending on your situation:

  • If neither parent is accompanying the child, both can sign one letter or each can sign separate ones.
  • Children from the same family travelling together may be listed in one letter.
  • Separate letters are advisable for children travelling separately during the trip.
  • For complex situations get legal advice, especially for long and frequent cross-border trips.

Do Travel Consent letters need to be Notarized?

While not legally required, both Canadian and U.S. border services highly recommend notarizing travel consent letters.

Notarization assures border officers of the letter's authenticity and can expedite the crossing process. Our dedicated notary public in Surrey understands travel consent requirements and ensures reliable, legally binding solutions tailored to your needs. Contact us for peace of mind on your upcoming journey.

Do both Parents need to sign a Travel Consent Form?

If the child isn't travelling with either parent/guardian, both must sign the form.

If only one parent/guardian accompanies the child, the non-accompanying parent/legal guardian should also sign. Our goal is to ensure smooth travels, so we advise clarity and completeness in the consent form.

Do I need to get the other parent’s Consent if I have Sole Custody?

It's a common question if a consent letter needs to be signed by one or both parents. If the other parent has legal rights (like visitation rights) it's best to obtain their consent. If this isn't possible, carry a notarized true copy of a court order proving sole custody. This ensures compliance and smooth foreign country crossings.


Understanding the importance of parent travel consent forms is crucial for ensuring smooth travels for your child.

From knowing when these forms are necessary to how to prepare them, CH Notary is here to simplify the process for you. Our comprehensive guide has covered everything you need to know about travel consent forms, empowering you to navigate international travel with confidence.

Ensure Smooth Travels For Your Child

Don't leave your child's travel plans to chance. Contact CH Notary today to get your travel consent form notarized in Surrey, BC

Our dedicated team is committed to providing reliable and legally binding solutions tailored to your specific needs, ensuring peace of mind for your upcoming journey.

Table Of Contents

Frequently Asked Questions

No items found.